Saturday, November 1, 2014

Revolutionary

As many of us do when we reach new eras in our lives, I am re-evaluating. And I'm in the herd that is re-evaluating and re-determining what the heck is it that I want to do to define the next 20 or more years of my life! 20 years ago, I entered into the architecture profession by venturing off to the University of Illinois in Urbana/Champaign to the School of Architecture. After working in offices from the side of engineering, architecture, and interior design, I'm again entering a new phase. This one using the skills both technical and design that I love to much adding in my love of teaching, gardening, plants and the out of doors. What does this look like?

Late summer flowers visible in my garden
I want more. Not more stress. Not more time at a desk and in an office building. I want more integration of all my interests. I want to seek something that included the great out of doors and the language of nature. I need to breathe and allow the sun to hit my face. I want to experiment with the palettes of life that include sustenance, beauty, creative thought, built structures, true reuse of discarded objects, research new concepts, include adventures in travel, and work more with communities in an effort to help them understand the meaning of beauty and health in their own lives.

I'm still formulating my ideas. In my life, I've been told over and over to focus. But focus on what? Growth includes exploration. Growth includes being open to new ideas and people. Each step we take gets us a bit closer to something new. A new direction. A new process. A new idea. I have given up many of these ideas over many different periods of my life. In order to focus in one direction over another, something is lost. I'm tired of losing aspects of my life that I actually consider vital to who I am. What's the syndrome for that called these days....ADD?

What are my interests? They include beauty and design and people. Buildings, products, plants and gardening coupled with beauty, affordability, nutrition, experimentation, creativity, and accessibility no matter where you live....house, townhouse, apartment, suburbs, city, rural area. I see gardens that while productive, haven't taken advantage of the beauty of plants or trellises to create height, shade or design.

What is my focus? Helping others create beauty, design, and food for their families with a focus on affordability and nutrition.

What might the steps be?
1.Training and research that includes professionals in the fields of horticulture, agriculture, permaculture, plant biology, agronomy and the sciences
2. Internet and web searches for ideas, current thoughts and popular personalities
3. Involvement in volunteer activities with schools and my neighborhood
4. Research of funding options and opportunities
5. Engage artists in creating garden accessories that reuse waste products
6. Teach children to use the resources that are often seen only as trash and direct recyclables to create planting and potting options for their balconies or patios that can be moved every time the family moves
7. Research the cultural histories of plant production for the different ethnic and cultural backgrounds of the people with whom I come in contact. This really includes all the continents....maybe a little too big. So I'll start with the Americas and our global food contributions.
8. As Bret and I trot around the globe, photograph, record and enjoy the local food offerings, markets, and find local food production, if it's there!
9. At historic sites, look for the inclusion of food production history not just the design of beautiful gardens and shrubs.
10. Create programming around these ideas
11. Write about it all!
12. Produce books that combine each of these different ideas that are all-in-one resources for people to use around the globe to create beauty, food and nutrition!

Seems doable. And now on to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment